Directory

12/10/13

Initial Impressions - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Soundtrack

About this exact same time last year, I struggled greatly with something as I waited to watch The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey for the first time.  Should I or shouldn't I get its soundtrack a few days before watching the movie?  Now, I absolutely loved the film scores for each of the Lord of the Rings motion pictures, and I was ecstatic that Howard Shore was returning to compose the Hobbit films, but I was worried that I may spoil the movie to some degree if I listened to its score beforehand, so I waited.

Finally, on December 13, 2012, I saw the first Hobbit movie, really liked it, and promptly purchased the soundtrack afterwards.  To my amazement, it contained many tracks that were simply not in the film (to my recollection) or just touched on; so, in hindsight, I don't believe it would have spoiled the movie at all if I were to have bought it early.  The only component that might provide spoilers were the individual titles of each song, but not the music itself.

With all that in mind, I decided that I would indulge in the Desolation of Smaug soundtrack early since it has released three or four days prior to the movie's debut.  Last night, around 11:00 as I was online, I read an article that said it was now available on iTunes, and a massive smile spread onto my face.  I opened the iTunes store and the rest is history.

After downloading the 29 tracks that span over two hours in play time, I sat by the roaring fireplace in my house and listened to each one (while also attempting to study for a calculus final - needless to say, not much studying took place.)  Here are some of my initial thoughts for each track.

1: The Quest for Erebor ***
A great introductory tune that features many of the themes from An Unexpected Journey's soundtrack but also hints at what is to come.
2: Wilderland ****
Fully introduces some brand new Middle-earth themes and really provides a sense of adventure while doing so!
3: A Necromancer ***
Classic darker theme for a dark subject.
4: The House of Beorn ***
Continues the foreboding darker theme but also has a very vibrant choral component near the end.
5: Mirkwood ***
An extremely tense tune to introduce the Dark Forest in earnest.  Really brings out the terror of Mirkwood.
6: Flies and Spiders ****
An action heavy tune (no doubt Bilbo battling the spiders!) that incorporates multiple themes throughout its long run time.  
7: The Woodland Realm *****
Wow! This one is wonderful; it rivals some of the Rivendell themes, but these are Elves of a different region - more hostile and aggressive, and it does show in this tune.
8: Feast of Starlight ****
A beautiful, lighter choral tune that is very uplifting
9: Barrels Out of Bond ****
Features the reprisal of the Bilbo theme and begins the adventure that follows in the next song.
10: The Forest River *****
One of my favorites on the entire soundtrack!  This is an absolutely stunning adventurous tune that incorporates the new explosive Desolation of Smaug theme wonderfully.  
11: Bard, a Man of Lake-town ***
A slower pace to cool off from the previous track.
12: The High Fells ****
A very foreboding track that makes use of more hauntingly beautiful choral composition.  
13: The Nature of Evil ***
Another dark and tense track - my assumption is an Orc attack for this track!
14: Protector of the Common Folk ****
Introduces some of the Lake-town themes which appear to be somewhat lighthearted and jovial, while also cunningly sinister at times. 
15: Thrice Welcome ***
Continues the Lake-town theme and incorporates some others as well, including Bilbo's theme near the end.
16: Girion, Lord of Dale ****
So this track title might provide slight-moderate spoilers for the film, but oh well!  It's an epic song that brandishes a mighty theme.  
17: Durin's Folk *****
A stunning track that features the Dwarf theme from An Unexpected Journey to its fullest (which has been almost entirely absent from the soundtrack up to here.)  
18: In the Shadow of the Mountain ****
It feels like a travelling track and that is likely what it is: the lonely journey to Erebor.  
19: A Spell of Concealment ****
Sauron is back!  This features his insidious theme that was developed in Lord of the Rings to a commanding degree.  It is both tense and exciting - Dol Guldur has some sound to it now!
20: On the Doorstep ****
The Company of Thorin Oakenshield grows ever nearer to its goal.  Some very tranquil light themes in this track as well.  
21: The Courage of Hobbits ****
As the title suggests, it begins with the ever-peaceful Hobbit theme in the beginning, but it soon changes to an altogether different theme.  Dark gongs, mysterious noises, and echoes from inside the mountain make a haunting presence near the end of this track.
22: Inside Information *****
A fire drake from the North gets his theme in this one!  Extremely tense, but altogether wonderful in its composition.  Smaug's theme is something Middle-earth has never heard before, but it will remember it forever henceforth.
23: Kingsfoil ****
A lighter track to take a breather from Smaug's attack that features some of the more tranquil themes of this soundtrack.
24: A Liar and a Thief ****
Smaug the Magnificent is back and he means business!  His menacing theme receives continual development in this track.
25:The Hunters ****
Begins with Smaug's theme and changes to an adventurous tone throughout the rest. The title does make me extremely curious as to what happens in this part of the movie!  
26: Smaug *****
Ominous has a new definition: this song! Smaug's theme is on full blast this time.
27: My Armor Is Iron ****
Provides some closure for the climactic conclusion of everything Smaug.
28: I See Fire **
While I have really enjoyed each and every one of the other special music guests of the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films, I really don't have a strong liking for this one.  While the instrumental music mostly works, I feel like the vocals are out of place and it doesn't mesh well with the themes of the rest of the soundtrack.  Perhaps it will grow on me, but perhaps not. 
29: Beyond the Forest *****
An absolutely gorgeous ending to the soundtrack that provides both an excellent choral component and a complete rendition of the movie's seemingly central new theme.  This is another one of my favorite tracks without question.  
My overall initial impressions of this soundtrack are overwhelmingly positive!  In fact, I would even venture to say it may become my favorite standalone soundtrack of all five of Howard Shore's compositions for the Middle-earth movies.  There are just so many amazing new themes that cover all aspects, from the ominously shrill Smaug theme to the new Desolation of Smaug adventurous theme featured predominately in The Forest River and the final track of the album.  

I can safely say that I don't feel like I have spoiled anything as far as the movie goes, but I must also admit that this soundtrack has increased my anticipation to see it by several folds.  Only a few days left, though, and then it's time to witness the Desolation of Smaug on the IMAX big screen!

No comments:

Post a Comment